Tuesday 16 October 2012

i can do everything...

 
I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.
(Philippians 4:12-13 ESV)
 
I have always loved this verse. Especially the 'I can do all things through him who strengthens me' bit. But it wasn't until a little while ago at when I was at Hillsong Conference that I think I grasped (at least a wee bit more) the meaning of these words. Which is a bit narrow minded of me as the explanation is right in the verses previous.
 
I used to love quoting this verse to myself, and it usually went like this...
 
I can achieve my dreams through him who strengthens me!
I can achieve everything I need to do today through him who strengthens me!
I can achieve all this work I've left overdue through him who strengthens me!

Now, to a certain (very small) extent, this is true. Except that really, what I'm saying is...

I can achieve everything I want to do through him who strengthens me!

What I am now coming to realise is that instead of this verse being used as a superman verse ('I can do everything...!!'), what it really means is...

I can do really hard times through him who strengthens me!
I can do illness and difficulty through him who strengthens me!
I can do lack through him who strengthens me!

How amazing, that this is how good God's love is! That even in trial, we can persevere in joy, because God is there throughout everything. This verse is not written to remind you that life is or can be difficult, but rather to encourage you, that even amidst those times, God will be with you and He will give you strength. So let me encourage you today. If you are in the midst of a hard time, God will give you the strength you need to get through. And as the Message translation puts it...
 

'I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. ' (Philippians 4:12-13 MSG)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for leaving a comment! they make my day xx