Tuesday 29 May 2012

being still...


Whilst running up the very steep hill which leads to our church last Sunday night, I knew I'd be puffed at the top. Sweaty too. There's been a heatwave* here, and it's been WONDERFUL! But I knew that walking into the quiet auditorium I would be hot and bothered. Back in Australia, this wouldn't have been unusual, being warm and all, and I've learnt that the best way to cool down is simply to be very still. Being still means when the soft, cool breeze comes, you can feel it, appreciate it, and let it do it's job.

I was reading this week about how we need to be still for God to speak to us, and show us His ways. I know when I'm warm I need to be still to let my body cool down. How much more should I be aware that in order for me to hear God's voice, I need to be still? I wonder how much more obedient and willing I am to still myself and listen to God, than I am when I'm trying to cool down?

'This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says:
“In repentance and rest is your salvation,
in quietness and trust is your strength...'
Isaiah 30:15

* heatwave = 18-22 degrees.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these little moments you have...
    i definitely need to make myself slow down and listen...so easily forgotten as one day blends into the next, but so important to do!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving a comment! they make my day xx