Tuesday 2 August 2011

apart from the world...


'The greatest single cause of athiesm in the world today is Christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.'
Brennan Manning


I realise I am not writing many original musings* here of late, for which there is an excellent reason. Excellent or non-existant, depending on how you look at it. There was one situation of a battery cord being left behind, one of extra work hours, but also one of being mystified as to what to do. Have you ever felt truly exhausted? In conversations words you used to use with much frivolity and secret fancy have completely escaped you? Climbing (yes, climbing) the stairs is a mammoth task? I have a holiday coming up next week (there are no words to explain the excitement!) and I shall use every second possible to relax and refresh (ie. sleep).

But there is one thing that has been keeping my mind restless, and that is how my life, and me being here in Scotland in a small country town affects anything. Is it by my grand gestures and mother's group attendance (I'm not a mother, my word but that would be speedy! I was a helper...just the once), or is it by having integrity in my job. By never complaining or by not swearing, by the conversations that I have, what I choose to laugh at...or not. How easily I get angry and how I react in situations. Is it in these small things that people will see a difference?

How much do you stand apart from the world? How much are you in it? An what do you do when you realise the line between the two is all blurry?

'Why do you complain, Jacob?
   Why do you say, Israel,
“My way is hidden from the LORD;
   my cause is disregarded by my God”?
Do you not know?
   Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
   the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
   and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
   and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint.'
Isaiah 40:27-31


image via dazeychic
 
* I do like to muse, and very much enjoy the word itself. It makes me feel literary...

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for leaving a comment! they make my day xx