Wednesday 6 June 2012

feeling vs knowing


Every now and then I have a day where everything is going swimmingly! Well, that happens more than every now and then. But sometimes, when I'm having a day that is going swimmingly, something unexpected can come along and take the wind from my sails (we're going with water-y metaphors this evening...stick with me!). And the silliest thing is, since moving to Scotland, it's usually the nice things that leave me feeling a bit...lets say, overwhelmed. When I receive a package in the mail, or am having a lovely chat to a loved one far across the seas, it can be as planned and thought out and as expected as the Scottish rain. Or it can be as unexpected as a couple from Australia walking into my work and saying,'G'day!'. Turns out, this lovely couple today reminded me very much of my family back home. Originating from the suburb my Nanna and Pop lived in, knowing the places I grew up in, welling up with tears when thoughts of their children moving away occurred to them. They were lovely. And they were a touch of home.
I don't think many things compare to another human being understanding what you are feeling. And I am reassured by the fact that even when I'm at my pity party feeling as though I am alone in these moments, my heavenly Father understands how I am feeling. He does not dismiss it, He does not try to cure it with insensitive solutions or inept words, He does not accuse me of being weak. What He does do, and will always do (thank goodness), is point me to what I DO know. And this is what I do know:

* I am loved. John 3:16
* Every need of mine is taken care of. Matthew 6:26
* God has good plans for me. Jeremiah 29:11
* Everything is viewed in comparison to eternity. Isaiah 60
* The God of the universe hears, understands and feels my pain, and will comfort me in my need. Psalm 34:18
* God is almighty, His glory shines brighter than the sun, His mercy and grace are abundant and good, He is a refuge, a strong tower, a rock, a deliverer, our protection, our strength. Psalms
* He walks with me, guiding me along the way. Psalm 23:4

For if I live based on what I know, rather than how I feel, perhaps the wind wouldn't be taken out of my sails quite so dramatically. I will still feel homesick, yes. And I will still feel the myriad of emotions that partner in my day to day life. But perhaps the waves won't feel quite so big if I keep my eyes focussed on what I know to be the truth.

What do you know?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, so true! Praying for you as you settle into all these huge adjustments that have been happening over the last year. Lots of love x x x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for leaving a comment! they make my day xx