Sunday 12 June 2011


...'i must accomplish.'

I have no idea how to be the girl who's job doesn't actually make her who she is. None! Maybe my job was becoming too important. Maybe the fact that my job defined me was hurting God. Maybe I was working hard at becoming successful in the world when my God calls me to become humble in His word.

But how do we draw the line between pursuing our creative wants, ideas and passions, and pursuing God? Surely if the first diminishes the second, something's not quite right. And what does one do if, being the creative type, they can not find a 'career' that merges the two?

I don't want you to think of art as
a little frill or whipped cream on the cake of life.
It's more like steak and potatoes.
                                                     - Dallas Willard

Quite a while ago my then boyfriend (now husband) sensed (was told) my frustration at this somewhat ongoing debate in my mind and pointed me to the story of Bezalel and Oholiab in Exodus during the building of the Tabernacle.

'Then Moses said to the Israelites, “See, the LORD has chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood and to engage in all kinds of artistic crafts. And he has given both him and Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, the ability to teach others. He has filled them with skill to do all kinds of work as engravers, designers, embroiderers in blue, purple and scarlet yarn and fine linen, and weavers—all of them skilled workers and designers.'
Exodus 35:30-35

I know that I will never know God's big picture, His purpose or plans, but this verse teaches me a few things. Firstly, the talent I have is not an accident, or lucky. It has been given to me with a distinct purpose in mind. Secondly, it is a joy to both myself and God when this talent is used for His glory. And thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, there are 4 things that are equally as important and perhaps fundamental to creativity, . '...he has filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills..'

Sometimes? It strikes me as very obvious where I need prayer.

'you laugh, saying: I am you father. do you think I do not know what you need? i am older than time. with one blow i can destroy everything you see, but i treasure you more than a sparrow'

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for leaving a comment! they make my day xx