Wednesday 22 June 2011

the value of faith...


What do you say Faith is? Is it being loyal to someone? Is it an emotion seen usually in relationships like marriage? Is it confidence? Is it a belief in a God we have never seen? Philip Yancey says this is his book Disappointment With God when creating an overview of the Old Testament, namely Genesis;

'A gambler would say God stacked the odds against himself. A cynic would say God taunted the creatures he was supposed to love. The Bible simply uses the cryptic phrase 'by faith' to describe what they went through. Somehow, that faith was what God valued, and it soon became clear that faith was the best way for humans to express a love for God.'
Disappointment With God by Philip Yancey, pg 71

One of the many questions asked by the majority of us (maybe it's just me, but I feel better if I include us all) is 'why does God not show Himself like he used to?'. Is it because of this?

'The response of the Israelites to such direct intervention offers an important insight into the inherent limits of all power. Power can do everything but the most important thing: it can not control love.'
Disappointment With God by Philip Yancey, pg 75

God can not force us to love Him. Our faith is our love, it is our response to God, it is our very relationship.
The idea of faith has been on my mind all day today, and I can't help but wonder if I have faith. Faith that shows God I love Him. The kind of faith that says I can do anything through Christ alone. That says He is my rock and my salvation, my strong tower and fortress. That says He loves me and will never leave me. That says He will forgive me, protect me and fulfill the desires of my heart. I know I have faith on the good days, but on the bad days?

'...Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.' Matthew 17:20

How I long to have the kind of faith that God is longing for me to have. Praise God that He has the grace to help me.

pic found via hanncastro

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for leaving a comment! they make my day xx