Wednesday 8 June 2011

currently reading...

...and it's truly excellent! I must say, there was some hesitation to picking this one up, with the feeling that immediate onlookers would suspect without a doubt that I was 'disappointed with God'. And not wanting the general public to have this misconception of me (very important is public opinion, yes indeedy), I brushed off the insecurity with my usual aplomb (ha!) and got my happy mitts on a copy!

The husband and I went to hear Philip Yancey speak in Perth a few weekends ago about 'Seasons of the Soul'. It was wonderful to hear him speak about the Summers we have, the Winters we have, and the other two inbetween. I have no doubt we have or will all experience these highs and lows. I also have no doubt that how we act in the midst of these situations, whether good or bad, long or short, determines what we will learn from it. Knowing this doesn't in any way make it easy though, and I find myself curious as to what the outcome of this life change will be. I don't know how to achieve it, or in any way how to start, but I do know that I want to look back and think 'this changed me for the better'. I want to learn to be (much) less selfish, to have a big picture attitude, and to have a security that lies first and foremost in God.

Cripes. I've set the standard high.

'You do not have to sit outside in the dark. If, however, you want to look at the stars, you will find that darkness is required. The stars neither require it nor demand it.' - Annie Dillard

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for leaving a comment! they make my day xx